Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Extracurricular Cleaning

The house is still clean from last week's bday preparations. The dishes are done and the clothes almost there. I've been perusing Pinterest and have come across numerous ways in which I can make my cookie sheets sparkle like new with just baking soda and peroxide. I pinned those ideas and gave serious contemplation to the fact that because the house is clean I have time to try some of these extracurricular cleaning activities. I thought about it thoroughly.

I also thought about the fact that it's rather depressing to think I am contemplating extracurricular cleaning. Am I crazy? I have freshly organized craft supplies, a stack of books neatly arranged in a basket near the bed, what the heck is wrong with me? Extracurricular cleaning!? Has it come to this? I'm still doing laundry and am doing maintenance cleaning but by golly a woman can't live by scrubbing bubbles alone!

"I'm still doing laundry and am doing maintenance cleaning but by golly a woman can't live by scrubbing bubbles alone!"

I will admit that I feel a strange quiet joy over the fact that I can see my countertops. I have inner peace over the fact that my coffee maker is clean, our favorite mugs are artfully placed next to it in anticipation of the morning to come. I have a breakfast vignette if you'll entertain the thought. 

All of this organization is a wonderful thing but isn't the point to give me a little extra free time? Cleaning shouldn't become your hobby. That said I am breaking free of the pins that bind me. I am saying no to seeking the cheap joy of an overly pristine cookie sheet, after all perhaps that's the seasoning that gives my cookies that little something special. Yup I am not going to clean. 

I think I'm going to bed early instead....thinking about all this cleaning is wearing me out!

No comments:

Post a Comment