Saturday, February 13, 2016

I Can Dance If I Want To

A very....very drunk lady once told Dennis and I that we were wonderful dancers. She said this as she tripped and lurched off the dance floor of a Christmas party we were at.  Now if you know me you know I am not a graceful person.  I trip without the added help of any chemical enhancement, I stub toes, I am awkward.  It's a fact.  But in my head and heart I can dance.

I was perusing Facebook posts this morning and ran across a one regarding a sculpture exhibition and the tag line was visual poetry. I like that notion. That's exactly how I see dance,  how I see art. Words for me too dance in my head. I'm very visual.  Even if the images are only in my minds eye, they are real and concrete for me. When I hear music I dance inside. When I read words my brain dances.  When I see beauty my head and heart dance.  I suppose it sounds a bit weird but it's just the way I am. 

I was considered a weird quiet kid because of it. I probably come off as a pretty odd adult too. Someone told me the other day that I was a really quiet person.  I don't think I am. Maybe with a new group.  But I do admit I'm in my head a lot.  I think if people knew half the stuff that was swirling and pirouetting through my head at any given time they'd think I was more than a bit odd.

My favorite thing to do is go on a long drive. I am allowed to simply absorb the world around me as I go by and let loose my brain to make all the complex steps that my feet will never complete. Present,  past and future all intermingle with the  real and fantasy world of thought and I can dance. That eventually ends up somewhere on a glowing screen or paper. Sometimes a canvas.  One day I hope to finally get a true clear image across of the ballet in my brain.  I don't know if that's egotistical.  I don't mean it in a condescending way at least.  There's just so much beauty to take in around us, even in the quiet sadness,  anger and strife at times.  Like this whole big choreography is looping around us in visual poetry.  I want to share that.

Okay I'll stop here. Before I come off too odd. I'll just leave with the thought that maybe everyone ought to stop for a moment each day to dance. If only in their head. 

No comments:

Post a Comment