Monday, June 20, 2016

Sweet Sunday

So vacation week has come to an end, wrapping up with Father's Day.  We're all experiencing different degrees of sunburn and peeling, I'm still finding sand in various places and items. Of course I also still feel like I need a second week of vacation to catch up after vacation,  but work is about to envelope me again. End of year reporting, grant applications and a possible building project are going to take hold and I have a feeling I'll be running with them full out for the next few months and more. Kind of feel like I need to take a big gulp of air before I jump into Monday.  I'll survive though.

I always have baking at least!  I ended up dumping the last day of vacation blues into a coconut cake for lunch at my parents today.  Nothing fancy,  but it is one of Dennis's favorites and I think my Dad was pretty happy with it too. 

Easy to make: Bake up one boxed vanilla cake mix 9x13 pan. I did change it up a bit by using a stick of melted butter in place of the oil and adding a bit of extra "good" vanilla. Let cool to room temperature.

Next, in a mixing bowl,  combine a can of creme de coconut (found in the drink mix/cocktail ingredient section at the grocery store) with one can of sweetened condensed milk. Poke holes into the cake with the handle end of a butter knife. Pour coconut/milk mixture over the cake and allow it to absorb completely.

Top cake with whipped cream or whipped topping.  I know it's not fancy but whipped topping will hold up better on this "very" moist cake. Then top with sweetened flaked coconut. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until time to serve.

Like I said it's not one of those from scratch deals but Dennis has loved it since childhood and sometimes those are just what you want. It made for a pretty sweet Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment