Wednesday, June 22, 2016

The Quieter Shades

Sometimes the heat of summer isn't quite so suffocating.  The Kentucky humidity is still there but doesn't leave you feeling as if you've had a hot bath after walking outside. Last night was one of those times.

I wasn't out for long.  Just a walk around the yard to find Dennis for supper.  The girls we're at my parents house and he had gotten home late from doing a class on succulents at work.  Hens and Chick's are my preferred name, but I know there are more than just those of course.

I walked round the yard and couldn't help but notice that while the photographer's sunlight had past, or maybe just hadn't shown up, despite the lack of illumination and subtle spotlight there was still beauty to be found in the subdued shades around.

Dennis was oblivious to my presence as he made his rounds to pull a weed or two and tuck in his plants with a drink of water.  I was struck that beyond the birds we seemed the only two people around on our road.

Soft skies, vanilla skies I've heard them called.  Clouds tinted slightly with the remains of a bit of bright yellow from the higher sun, the brightest heat of the day. Like meringues with "good" vanilla. For all my searching for the "right" light, the crisper colors, I think sometimes I overlook the beauty in the quieter shades.

No comments:

Post a Comment