Saturday, January 2, 2016

Selling Eggs Won't Make You Rich

A couple of people have asked me about how and why we started raising chickens and thus selling eggs.  I can tell you it was never with the idea of getting rich in mind.  This is a hobby for us. Dennis loves caring for them,  the chickens are really relaxing to watch.  Funny I know but they're like goldfish in that respect.  I enjoy watching them meander about and like to photograph them, especially since Dennis has selected our flock for not just hardiness but also pretty colors and pretty eggs.  The eggs are the other main reason for us raising the chickens.

Fresh Eggs Taste Better

Of course it's a matter of opinion but as far as I am concerned fresh farm or backyard raised eggs taste better.  I actually didn't like to eat eggs by themselves before tasting this kind.  For me many store bought eggs taste and smell sulphury.  I didn't say all, but many.

I also love to bake and I think these bake up better.  Having a ready supply of healthy, golden orangish yolked eggs for a Baker is pretty cool.  Higher quality ingredients makes for a better end product.

All that in mind we are up to thirty some odd chickens and unless I get more time and a certified kitchen I won't be using that many eggs a week so we decided to sell some of them. Like I said you won't get rich selling eggs.  We would have to get quite a few more layers,  start buying seed and feed in bulk, get another fridge for storage and start going to some of the larger farmers markets to truly make any kind of profit. Still,  even with that,  factoring in everything you put into it it's not a get rich quick scheme.

I'm not trying to keep you from raising chickens. I just think you should go into it knowing what you want to get out of it. We raise them for fun, to have access to our own fresh eggs and have just a big enough flock that selling some of the eggs allows us to break even after feed, care time etc.

If you're wanting to do it as a business you need to really get the background information on the selling side. You can only sell so many out of your own home and not get into the tax issue.  Notice I said out of your own home.  Putting the eggs in a building outside of your home also brings up taxing and business laws.

Obviously I am biased in my information resources but If you really want to know more you should check with your local extension office.  They are a great resource for learning the rules of small farm business, catering and more.  They also have great classes on all these types of topics.  The Library will also have great books on where you can get started and quite possibly has a librarian on staff that is passionate about your topic.  And I'll tell you that if you don't see a book or resource on what you need to know request it. Our library and pretty much all others I know of want to offer what the public needs.  If they don't have it there's a hole in the collection.  Your request will help them fill it.

If you want to do it for fun and personal egg supply it's really pretty easy.  You don't have to have a huge space,  nor do you need a rooster. A person could raise a few chickens in their own backyard pretty easily.  Of course you should abide by your local guidelines regarding this... I will say that hens are pretty quiet for the most part though.  Some might even say "Covert". Kept in a fenced area that doesn't interfere with your neighbors I personally don't think there's any reason everyone shouldn't have the ability to raise a few chickens to keep their family in eggs.  That's just my two cents worth though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment