Wednesday, July 6, 2016

The Pressure Is On

So we're about to have a good problem but one I still haven't figured out how to fix, at least in a way that I'm willing to fix yet. You see we've finally gotten fruit from the trees that Dennis has been babying over the past few years.  Peaches (a couple of varieties), pears and apples, in addition to the cherries,  blackberries and blueberries already in the freezer and still more berries yet to pick. 


The problem is that our large deep freezer bit the dust over the winter. We still have a small chest freezer but....there's still corn to think about too. I know that logically two or three things need to happen here:



1.  I need to clean out the freezer of outdated stuff. 
I keep telling myself that I'm going to start liking broccoli in some form outside of a casserole but if it hasn't happened by now, one month away from 40, I don't think it ever will.  The same with cauliflower.  I've tried to like this albino cousin of broccoli as well but I just can't seem to do it.  Even after several, day long, gung ho decisions to do the whole low carb thing where we suddenly turn to cauliflower to take the place of pizza crust and mashed potatoes it just never flew.  I like bread.  I like carbs.  I will remain fluffy if it means I have to give them  up. So it's time to give up on all those long ago frozen veggies.

2. I need to get the canning jars out of the building and start washing them. 
Canning would definitely help take up less room in a freezer.  I'm not sure it will take up any less room in the house though. Which is sort of the reason that I'm having this dilema at all.  You see I am pressing for us to get back on and stick with the whole budget thing.  The main reason is because of our need for more room in the house. We need to save if we plan to build.  

We knew when we moved in here that we'd need more space eventually and of late it's becoming ever more and more clear.  Two little girls with very different personalities can sure get on each others nerves when they share a bedroom.  They also come with a lot of STUFF! They get it honest, Dennis and I both have the pack rat gene.  His is for gardening supplies and mine is for artsy, random clutter that I'm just sure I might need one day.  Needless to say we're busting at the seams.  

There's also the bathroom situation.  Again two girls, one who has been going on teenagehood since she was four and is now actually (Be still my heart) heading to middle school and another who, while being a true gamer girl, is also hitting the tween years and also likes to primp.  I already hadn't been to the bathroom alone since 2005.  Now I can barely brush my hair, they keep stealing my brushes and the mirror, nor can I get my makeup on, that seems to be magically disappearing too.  Dennis has also all but given up on ever being able to do much more than quickly brush his teeth before being tossed out by their morning rituals.  We NEED as second bathroom.

As I said, saving means building on, eventually.  I have a plan. I HAVE A PLAN I TELL YOU!  It doesn't include purchasing a new upright freezer right now but...there sure is a whole lot of fruit and corn in our future!
These are Tango Peaches, we also
have Georgia Bell coming, supposedely
not till August but they seem to
be ahead of schedule.
  
3. I may be forced to bend my plan. 
I don't want to bend though.  We just started and I kind of feel like if we break this early on it's going to be a downward spiral to never getting there.  I have visions of Dennis and I being forced to live in a tiny corner of the house as the "real" teen years hit and hormones and hair brushes really start to fly.  It's a scary thought I tell ya!

So that's where I am right now 
Debating.  Again I do have logic at play.  I also have a husband who is pretty pro-freezer purchase.  Fortunately he's also a canning king!  Seriously he's a canner from way back, he has always been a gardener and always helped (and ran the process of) can, freeze, you name it. I love to bake but I came to this whole food preservation thing late in life and through him.    
So...I think I know what I need to do.

Time to get washing! The pressure is about to be on around here and even more so than it is with the pressure of living with two tweenaged girls!

No comments:

Post a Comment