Thursday, July 21, 2016

Tipping My Hand

I'm not a card player. I've never played poker and in fact UNO is about the closest I get to it on occasion.  I'm a board game girl. Scrabble,  Candy Land, Monopoly,  none of which requires any need to bluff. I guess I'm just a little too straight forward.

This week I think must be proof as to why I should never gamble. I simply lay my cards on the table too soon. I tip my hand.

I started this week out by talking about how I planned to change my habits up and get into the routine of being happy about the need to rise early. I flaunted my winning hand, I tempted fate. Yup I brought it on myself I reckon.  Because it seems that no sooner than my plans were uttered than all my chips were swiped off the table.

I need sleep.  I'm sorry all you self help gurus and authors who say it's a choice to be in a good mood.  I agree, to an extent,  but by golly you are no match for the battle of insomnia and an eight year old girl who was a born strategist!

When sleep has evaded you most of the week, between an overworking brain and a child who seems to know just when to wake you during your REM cycle so that you are too tired to protest her rooting you out of bed and you merely shuffle defeated to the couch to claim your uncomfortable few hours left of sleep, you too would find it hard to stay positive.

I'm pretty much feeling like a grump. I did so good though...for that whole day. Chipper, positive, swatting away the negative Nellie ' s (I still wonder if that came from Nellie Olsen on Little House?). Yeah,  I'm just no good at this game of strategy.

Sigh...okay I need to buck it up right? Today is a new day,  the dawning of a new era. There's always more toast!  I need to throw a new piece of bread in the toaster or at least try to salvage one of the others by gettin' to scraping...toast...no I need coffee! Coffee! Yeah that's it! Coffee's the answer,  or could I maybe just crawl back in bed? Pretty please? Probably not huh? Yeah my spots still taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment