Monday, November 16, 2015

Dreaded Wake Up Call

I wrote this the other day and since then Tori seems to be getting better.  She's back to school today but all the same the sentiment is the same.  Hope your day isn't too rushed.

Yesterday:

I'm really not looking forward to waking the girls up this morning.  Tori is still miserable and Gabs by default thinks she is. Tori needs to stay home and that means figuring out who can stay and arguing with Gabs that she still has school.

This is one of the parts of having both parents work that is really crappy. When a child is sick you have to go through this whole debate to figure whose job is going to allow them to stay home with them. I of course end up feeling like the recipient of the most horrible mother of the year award if I can't be there.

I know that despite how bad I have it though there are so many others that have it worse. I have Dennis and we are blessed to be able to have at least one of us stay home in most instances.  We also agree that we are parents equally,  gender doesn't matter, these are our girls and we each take care of them equally.

Not everyone has a job that allows for this.  Not every relationship does either.  I hear so many stories from people I interact with daily about both parents working shifts that leaves them only seeing their children while they sleep when they pick them up from a sitter. Or its just one parent trying to juggle it all. I know that people do what they have to, to make sure that the bills get paid and that everyone has what they need physically but that sort of life can leave a person emotionally drained.

Yeah I know,  this doesn't have much to do with chickens but my world is not all about pretty feathers and well lit farm photos.  There are sick children and a 40 hour work weeks, night meetings, homework, too much laundry and not enough hours in the week to keep everything and everyone in perfect order.

I wish I had the magic answer for it all. We rush and rush. I wish the modern world would allow for a bit more family and humanity. For all of us. I'm by no means a conservative, I am a big believer in equality and I don't believe that raising kids is for everyone simply because they are female.  This is more than just about that though.  When the world gets so fast that there are those afraid to allow themselves time to heal from an illness for fear of losing their home then something is wrong in my opinion.  If we all took a good look at it and each other and remembered that we are only here for awhile couldn't we realize that perhaps this mad dash isn't working.

I don't know what I'm saying really I guess.  Just venting. Got to get the girls up though.  Fingers crossed and prayers for healthy ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment