Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Winter Is "Mouse" Definitely Coming

John snow has zombie warriors,  I have mice.

Something I can't get used to about country life is mice. Now don't get me wrong, I've dealt with mice before,  even in city life, country mice just seem a little more unpredictable. 

My relationship with mice isn't all bad I guess.  I actually owe not having to take naps after the age of 5 to a mouse. As it happened on the day of my last mandatory nap I lay in bed looking down the hallway of my childhood home contemplating how long I'd have to stay there till I could sneak out to play and while biding my time I saw a mouse. 

While not particularly bothered, because I had seen the mouse go into a closet and not seen it come back out, I used it as my excuse to run screaming from bed and then proclaimed that I couldn't take a nap knowing a mouse was lurking in the hall. It worked that day and as an excuse enough days after that, that my Momma gave up on the notion of making me nap after that. In retrospect I can now see where Tori and Gabs may  gotten some of their planning abilities. 

While I owe mice a gratitude for that childhood freedom I still don't like them.

The other morning as I stumbled around half awake making coffee I caught a black shadow out of the corner of my eye and about dropped the coffee pot as the owner of the shadow ran behind the faucet, around the cabinet and then came to a stop on the stove.  I kid you not,  the mouse stopped and looked at me as if daring me to do something before he jumped from the stove and ran to hide in the hallway somewhere.

I should interject here that while not incredibly squeamish I am a control freak,  this is the true reason for my dislike of mice...and spiders.  They are small,  move fast and hide well. I have no control over them and no way to track them, they are rogue agents with no plans but for survival, no method to their madness.

That's why, while I will leave be the stationary spider who made its home over the back door of the house, I will squash gleefull any that choose to randomly show up in surprise locations inside the house.  It's a respect thing I think. 

Outdoor spider does her thing catching bugs in her very visible, very non changing location and I can nod to her in respect for her daily dedication.  Crazy random spider, with no boundaries, must die...sorry pacifists.

I have the same feelings for crazy, stare me down from the stove mice. The gauntlet has been thrown and I accept the challenge.  So yesterday I stocked up on traps and steel wool. One will capture and one deter by blocking any pathways they might find in. I shall defend the wall if you will.

I feel confident I can win...just as long as they don't turn into zombie mice. In that case? Maybe I need to start watching back episodes of Walkers? Granted they do tend to be slow and stagger a lot.  I might be able to take them, if I can get my coffee first.

No comments:

Post a Comment