Friday, November 27, 2015

Leftovers and Life Plans

I'm obviously a self proclaimed foodie. I like to cook.  I like to eat.  I'm a chubby girl from way back and will no doubt continue being one for all my days because of those two things.

My Thanksgiving traditions center a lot on food.  It's a time to get together with family yes but we are most definitely going to be eating when we get there.

Food "culture" and traditions fascinate me. Food is a huge part of the reason for why we do what we do and a driving force behind how history was shaped.  Geesh,  just think of all that came to be because we wanted a little extra spice for our food!

I actually had two folklore courses in college at U.K. under the great professor Dr. Alvey. The study of food was one my favorite parts of the classes.  For the first class my semester project was even centered on stack pies and I turned in a stack pie with my paper...got an A I'm happy to say.  In retrospect I can see that perhaps my degree and career path should have taken the culinary fork in the road but in all truth I truly didn't know how deeply passionate I would become about food.  That was at the dawn of the foodie phenomenon anyhow.

So while I am not chef or master Baker I am a home cook. I will always be baking and making something in the kitchen.  It's as much a part of me as my love for writing, art and the other things that make up me.

I've been thinking about it lately.  Where I'm going,  what I'm doing,  my goal and role in it all. I've decided in a way my life has come to be sort of a big planned family dinner.  I started out with recipes and seating charts. I work to follow the menu that I think I can't stray from but I'm only just realizing that a plan is just an idea or notion that is a good guide but ultimately doesn't have to be the be all end all of who I am. 

Along the way I'll run out of ingredients and when I don't have time to run out for more I'll compromise,  get creative and make do with what I have on hand.  The recipes will change accordingly and rather than cry over not making what I intended to make I can rejoice in the fact that I may just have created some new culinary masterpiece or even better a family favorite. 

When it's all said and done I get to enjoy the best parts. I get to see the happy faces of those I cook for and later I have something almost better than the meal itself...leftovers!   Because leftovers are sort of like the sweet memories from all those meals. When the day is done or perhaps beginning anew I can sit for a moment alone with a slice of pie and coffee for breakfast and ponder all the things that makeup the family dinner we call life.  I think we are where we are and are where we should be because of each and every choice we make.  That said I wouldn't change a thing. 

One different choice and my life would be completely different and I wouldn't have the three people I love most sleeping in the other part of the house right now. I wouldn't be sitting on the edge of the couch pecking away and able to see the vanilla tinged sunrise as it begins it's daily path to wrap its cream colored clouds 'round the house and world.

I still have more Thanksgiving today, in the form of a meal and just a whole lot to be thankful for.  So good morning everyone here's hoping your Thanksgiving was a good one and that you all have leftovers to enjoy as well!

P.S. Here's a picture of Gabs holding her favorite leftovers,  turkey dumplings.  She wouldn't smile for the photo but rather wanted everyone to know that the jar was all hers and she didn't plan to share them...granted I did sneak a few bites myself last night.  Don't tell her though,  she might just get me for it.


No comments:

Post a Comment