Sunday, November 22, 2015

"Spunky" Gabby Muffins


I joke a lot about our cookies for breakfast habit. I'm only half joking.  With Gabs especially it's hard to get her to eat very much at all.  She loves fruit but when I know it's going to be a few hours before lunch I don't like sending her to school on so few calories.

I can get her to eat a cookie or muffin though. While I know it isn't exactly health food she is getting some protein, some calories and a little fat to keep her from starving before her trip to the school cafeteria. 

She loves those, let's call them "Spunky", muffins particularly the chocolate, chocolate chip ones. They are like 1.50 a muffin though which I suppose isn't horrible but I can usually make 10 to 12 muffins for the same cost of one two muffin pack.  That said I've been playing with a few recipes to try and duplicate the "Spunky" recipe. This one I made last night.  It's not quite a twin, actually almost brownie like, but Gabs seems to like them.  

Spunky Gabby Muffins
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup softened butter
3/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1 egg
1 and 1 / 2 cups self rising flour
2 and 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
2 oz melted semi sweet chocolate chips
2 teaspoon vanilla

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.

Cream together:
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup softened butter
(I used the salted kind)
3/4 cup sour cream
When that's combined and smooth mix in
1/4 cup light corn syrup and
1 egg
till incorporated well.
Next melt 2 oz of semi sweet chocolate chips in the microwave by zapping for about 7 seconds then stirring then zap again another 7 and stir.
Repeat this process till the chocolate is smooth.
Pour melted, slightly cooled, chocolate into the wet mixture.  Mix till incorporated and mixture is light brown.

To the wet mixture add
1 and 1/2 cups self rising flour
Plus
2 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder

Mix till combined and add 2 teaspoons of vanilla as you're at the end of your incorporating.

Use an ice cream scoop to fill muffin tins that have been coated with baking spray. Or that are lined with muffin wrappers. This makes 10 muffins.


Optional: sprinkle the tops of the batter with milk chocolate chips.

Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until the top springs back when you touch it. Normally I'd use parchment muffin liners but I was out. Doing it this way I got a more prominent muffin top which I think is the best part anyhow! Gabs,  as I said likes them. She of course said they'd be better with frosting...hmmm. Cupcakes for breakfast?  She might be on to something 😉

No comments:

Post a Comment